Cat lovers will love the chapter book, SOCKS. Written from the perspective of Socks, the cat, this book is a pleasant tool to help your child understand how your cat's different behaviors may express their kitty feelings about changes in your family, and resonate with kids' feelings about change too.
"Socks is one happy cat. He lives the good life with his affectionate owners, Mr. and Mrs. Bricker. Ever since the day they saved him from a life spent in a mailbox drop slot, Socks has been the center of their world. And he always has everything he needs - tasty kitty treats and all the lap room he could want!
But when a new baby arrives, suddenly the Brickers have less and less time for Socks. Little Charles William is the one getting all the attention. Socks feels left out - and to show it, he starts getting into all sorts of trouble! What will it take to make Socks realize just how much the Brickers care about him?"
Since it is written from the perspective of Socks, the cat, this book is a pleasant tool to help your child understand how your cat's different behaviors may express their kitty feelings about changes in your family, and might even help your child adjust to changes in their world, too.
Children as young as 4 or 5 can enjoy this kids' book about cats as a read-a-loud. Or readers from 8 years old/third grade can read this book on their own.
As you read together, take time to stop occasionally and make sure more difficult vocabulary words are being understood. This is also a great chance for your child to express their opinions about the events of the book and the behavior of the characters.
Reading Questions For Discussing SOCKS
- At the beginning of the story, how do the Brickers find Socks, and why do they decide to adopt him?
- How do you think Socks feels when Charles William comes home for the first time?
- Can you explain what happened with Nana's wig?
- If your pet was feeling left out or jealous because a new pet or family member was added to your family, how would you help your pet to feel part of the family again?
- What was your favorite part of Socks?
- What was your least favorite part?
- Do you think your friend would like this book? How would you recommend Socks to your friend?
Do you have a Cat Fan in your family?
Kitty lovers will find stuffing their own new plush cat and reading new kids books about cats sparks a joy in reading.
Cat Book and Bear box was our October 2020 theme, and we are sold out of this box. 😿
More Fun Kids Books About Cats
Book and Bear's latest Cat Box features an adorable Tuxedo Kitten kids can hand-build with three more engaging kids' books about cats to read together.
Start by building your new kitten reading friend, inserting a purple "Best Friends" heart and closing up your kitten with it's zip-tie and Velcro easy closure. Adopt your new reading buddy kitten and fill in the included adoption papers.
Kitten Box comes in picture book version with The Little Kitten by Nicola Killen (pictured here➡)
Or chapter book version with two chapter books:
- Museum Kittens: The Midnight Visitor
- AND The Stranger Next Door for good readers from 4th grade or for reading aloud together. You and your child or grandchild will love this mystery book about the friendship between a boy and his detective cat, Pete.
Raising an independent reader isn't that hard when you set aside time out of each day and read stories to your child.
At Book and Bear, we seek out engaging stories for kids every month and pair them with a special plush animal kids can build themselves to keep your reading times fresh and exciting for both you and your kids.
Book and Bear boxes are available in limited quantities as one-time purchases, or subscribe to our monthly subscription box and save every month while you inspire a love of reading through fun animal-building activities.
What's more fun than a Book and Bear Box? Getting an exciting new animal and kids books about animals every month!